Sunday, October 19, 2014

Food from home: New and eclectic

     I miss doing this segment! It's always good to discover new dishes and share it with loved ones because you'll never know... it may be a hit. The beauty of cooking at home is you get to control the quality, quantity and portions... just in case they want more. ;)


Mexican
     I love Mexican food! I love the smokey and cheesy flavors with salsa and guacamole. This is another time I can go a little more spicy. I often procrastinated doing Mexican food because I was unsure if ingredients would be available... eg. certain kinds of chili peppers. Thanks to the internet, there are many simple and authentic recipes available. I wanted to surprise Mom and my sister Mitch since we don't have Mexican food that often and thank goodness they enjoyed.

Taco salad
     This has ground beef, jalapeno, lettuce, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips and salsa (or pico de gallo... still unsure of their difference) which is made of tomato, onions, lemon juice, cilantro (wansuy), salt and pepper. I would have wanted to make guacamole but avocados were unavailable.

Chicken enchilada
    Most recipes use fried corn tortilla, but I used flour tortilla because that was the one available. I wanted to use chicken to be healthier. 

Japanese
     Of course Japanese food is already a given with the family... I need not say more. :D

     We sometimes have Batayaki, which is meat and seafood cooked in a grill pan, similar to Teppanyaki. We always have steak, chicken and shrimp. This is great with rice, grilled  onions and garlic dipped in soy sauce and mustard.


Japanese potato salad
     If you're one of those who gets grossed out with potato salads that are mayo galore... you're not alone. The Japanese potato salad is an exception... full of flavor without being overloaded with mayo. This is perfect with a sandwich.


Korean
     Kimchi is a staple in Korean food. I always make it in advance just so it absorbs all the flavors as time passes. It's said that Kimchi can last for months... but because of my OC tendencies, I prefer to make it as fresh as possible.* I recently cooked a Korean lunch for my cousins, Toby and Jamille but forgot to take pictures of the food. It's a good thing I was able to take pictures when I cooked for my niece and nephew Sofia and Enzo.
Kimchi rice, grilled beef (Korean style), Kimchi, Japchae
     The original plan was to do Bibimbap... but because Mom got lured by a Kimchi rice tutorial, we decided to do Kimchi rice for a change. I tried using the packaged Kimchi before but wasn't successful because there was only a limited amount so it lacked flavor. Both the Kimchi and juice are important for the flavor and color, so it's best to use homemade Kimchi so I have more than enough for the rice. I used leeks and kim for the garnish.* Japchae is perfect for those who aren't into spicy food. Grilled beef is always appreciated.

Kimchi quinoa
     Because the Kimchi rice was a hit, I made a healthier version using quinoa. Still full of flavor without the bloated feeling. ;)


     I surprised Sofia and Enzo with their favorite desserts. I admit I like surprising loved ones and friends with their favorites. :D
Mega chocolate cookies

Red velvet cupcakes


OC -obsessive compulsive
Kim -Korean seaweed; similar to the Nori for Japanese food

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...