Thursday, October 30, 2014

Food from home: Mixed

     I just realized I overlooked at some of my food pics, especially the new experiments... Oh well, better late than never. 

Miso soup
     Frankly, I don't know anyone who doesn't like miso soup. It's light, healthy and comforting. The basic ingredients are miso and dashi stock by boiling bonito flakes in water. It's highly recommended to include tofu and green onions , but I believe it would be nice to add clams and clam broth next time for more flavor.

Gindara Terriyaki*
     Another Japanese dish that's light, healthy and comforting. Best to cook the gindara for 1-2 minutes both sides. The sauce is made of soy sauce and mirin that's boiled until thick. I admit I was always hesitant eating this because of my fear of swallowing a fish bone. The key for that is to dissect it for assurance (yes like in a scientific experiment). The good news fish bones are big so you should be able to feel it. ;)

*You may buy your Japanese ingredients in New Hatchin (see my previous post Takoyaki & cake @ New Hatchin and Bebe Rouge for complete address, contact number and map).

Big Mac dressing

Our version of Big Mac
     I love Big Mac! This is one of those things I look forward to in my cheat days. I came across a tutorial in youtube and got hungry after so I decided to give it a try. According to Mom, it's best to use the best quality beef as much as possible (leave it to Mom to know her ingredients) so I used black angus beef. I did my best for the burger to be as close as the real thing... burger bun, iceberg lettuce and cheese. The dressing has mayo, mustard, paprika, vinegar and pickle relish. The only concern here was the patty should have been flatter and wider... but other than that, taste wasn't far apart from the real thing. ^_^

Turon
     This is the only exception here because this isn't my first time making this. Based on experience, the best turon are the ones from the vendors outside. Mom was craving for turon so I decided to give in. Turon should be fat, no empty filling (sometimes you just bite into the wrapper without the banana) and should have Langka as it gives the flavor... but Mom will disagree here. I made 3 versions: Banana and Langka, Banana, Banana Langka & Ube, Banana & Ube.* 


Gindara -codfish
Langka -jackfruit
Ube -purple yam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...