Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Food from home: Korean lunch with the clan

     Mom hosted a lunch for my balikbayan aunt and cousin, Auntie Sela and Isa.* The request was Korean, so I thought of Korean barbeque since it's a family favorite. I thought it would be nice to have a variety of meat so I came up with these: Bibimbap, grilled beef, spicy pork and spicy chicken. Kimchi, lettuce wraps, ssamjang (dipping sauce with the grilled meat wrapped with lettuce) will be available too.

     Made a large batch of Kimchi, enough for the whole barangay.* :)) Kimchi can last for months but I prefer it fresh, meaning a few days old.


Gochujang
     This is Korean hot pepper paste, one common condiment for Korean food. The one in the left is mostly used for cooking. The one in the right is a special one for Bibimbap and sometimes it comes in toothpaste tube. ^_^


     The pork and chicken were marinaded with gochujang, onions, pear, garlic, sesame oil and leeks. My sister, Nicole helped too with the marinading. :D

I prefer to use the barbeque grill, the one used outdoors for that smokey flavor. ;)



Bibimbap
     This is mixed rice. They say it's already a meal itself because it has meat, vegetables and rice. Still, we like eating it with others. ^_^ I admit I had a little help here with the egg (still have to work on my egg frying). 


Spicy chicken


Spicy pork
     I've never tried Korean pork barbeque. I got inspired from an episode of The Kimchi Chronicles where they had pork barbeque. I thought it would be a good addition to the menu and I was right.


Grilled beef (Korean style)


Kimchi and ssamjang


     The way to eat meat with lettuce is to place the meat and ssamjang on the lettuce, wrap it and take it in one bite. I will show pictures of that next time. 


balikbayan -Literally translates to return home. This refers to for our country men living abroad but are in the home country.
barangay -village, district or town

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...