Saturday, August 31, 2013

Food from home: Snack time

     Looking for breakfast and merienda food can be a challenge.* As much as possible, I always look for healthy alternatives.

  Granola
     I found a granola tutorial in youtube, so out of curiosity, I wanted to try making it at home. I used coconut sugar and honey instead of brown sugar. Granola usually has raisins, but since I'm not a fan of raisins, I used dried mango and cranberries. This has been a staple, especially for breakfast with yogurt and honey for some of us: Mom, my sister Mitch, my brother in law Allan and I. It's a good thing this came out to be a big batch and gave one of my balikbayan friends Fox, which I'm pretty sure he won't find abroad (at least for this mix with dried mango).*


Polvoron
     This is a family favorite. My niece Sofia and my nephew Enzo spent the week with us so I decided to surprise them with a special treat. ;) This is a family recipe which has been around for decades. My sister Mitch was the polvoron maker before. Now this task was passed on to me and my niece Sofia. We used Klim before (If you're 30 and above, I'm sure you know this brand) but now it's Nido.


merienda -snack
balikbayan -Filipinos based abroad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...